artislife

Monday, June 18, 2007

Culinary Theme




Apparently, cuisine is on my mind. I have recently done two paintings with chefs. The first is my take on a nursery rhyme - I'm sure you remember four and twenty blackbirds. I made some stencils for this one, which was fun. I have a feeling I'll do another one with the blackbirds. The other is a chef with an eye on a goose or maybe she'll settle for the egg - who knows? The background for this one includes pages from an old book - I actually painted the face on the book page. It worked better than I expected - no warping or bubbles.


My friend Nancy and I have decided to set challenges for each other to get us motivated by designating a theme. Our first one was cutlery. I have seen some antique folk dolls with wooden slats for skirts (or maybe they were the support for a skirt - I don't know). Anyway, I went to the thrift store and bought some cheap knives that I used to allude to the wooden slats. The face I scanned from a wonderful wooden figure I bought in London and the torso and arms are paper. I used a piece of organza which I attached with a button to add the illusion of a skirt. The piece is on a thin piece of wood so I did some drilling to attach the button and the knives. It was a fun project and I really like the result.


I intend to pursue more of these lighthearted subjects. I'm finding they make other people smile, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jane LaFazio said...

a cutlery skirt? hmm. Cool. I especially like the chef and the blackbirds. Nice work!!
Hey, you mentioned having an etsy shop, but there's no mention of it on your blog!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Yes, it made me smile - love the knives on the skirt.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Joy Logan said...

wonderful art!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Jane LaFazio said...

hmm, white on white, a novelist..please please post the other challenges you two have cooked up!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home